Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Prayer Before Performing Penance

Since I have so grievously insulted Thee, O most tender and loving God,
by my manifold sins and negligences, I am ready now to make perfect
satisfaction to Thy divine justice to the utmost of my ability. To this end I
will faithfully and most reverently perform the penance appointed me by
my confessor in Thy name ; and would that I could perform it with so
great devotion and love as to give Thee an honor and delight greater than
the insult and outrage of my sins! And that this may be so, I unite and
blend this my penance with all the works of satisfaction which Thy
beloved Son accomplished during the three-and-thirty years of His life on
earth, and in union with His fastings, His watchings, and His prayers, I
offer Thee this my penance and my prayer. Look down, therefore, O most
loving Father, upon me Thy most bounden debtor, now prostrate at Thy
feet, desiring to make thee adequate satisfaction and reparation for all the
insults and injuries I have done Thee ; and grant me strength and grace to
say this prayer according to Thy most holy will. Amen.

Here perform your sacramental Penance, and then say:

O most holy Father, I offer Thee this my confession and my satisfaction
in union with all the acts of penance which have ever been done to the
glory of Thy holy name: beseeching Thee that Thou wouldst vouchsafe to
accept it, and to render it availing through the merits of the Passion of
Thy beloved Son, and through the intercession of the ever-blessed Virgin
Mary, and of all Thy holy Apostles, Martyrs, Confessors, and Virgins.
Whatever has been lacking to me in sincere and earnest preparation, in
perfect contrition, in frank and clear confession, I commend to the most
loving heart of Thine only-begotten Son, that Treasury of all good and of
all grace, from whose overflowing abundance all debts to Thee are fully
acquitted ; that, through it, all my negligences and defects in the reception
of this holy Sacrament may be fully and perfectly supplied to Thine
everlasting praise and glory: through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth
and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, world
without end. Amen.